We love Italia! The best loved Italian food in the UK
La Dolce Vita or the Good life is very much a part of the Italian dining experience. When you go to an Italian restaurant the good company is just as important as the food and wine itself. With Volare playing over the air, the Frescos of Rome and Sicilian monasteries on the walls and the chefs hard at work probably on a medium duty 6 Burner Gas range oven like the ones you can see at https://www.247cateringsupplies.co.uk/catering-appliances/commercial-ovens-and-ranges/commercial-ranges/lincat-lmr9-medium-duty-6-burner-gas-range-oven because let’s face it your average home oven is never going to cope with that amount of pasta to be cooked. Mine struggles with a turkey at Christmas!
But, what are we choosing from the menu when we go to our local restaurant? Let’s have a look; the first 4 are not much of a surprise.
- Spaghetti Bolognese. It’s not really a surprise that this satisfying favourite is top of the list. Its comfortable and safe and very delicious, a brilliant combination of beef mince, tomato sauce and onions. People love making it at home as well.
- Pizza Margherita. What can go wrong with the Margherita Pizza? Cheese, tomato sauce and that thin or thick pizza base crust is popular with all ages. Put some parmesan on top for a bit of a kick next time.
- A quick confession, this is the author’s first choice. Who can resist the layers of lovely beef, béchamel sauce and sheets of pasta topped off with that sauce and a layer of melted cheese again? There is a Chicken korma version out there, but I think the traditional is still by far the best and so does the British public as it’s here at number 3.
- Pizza Pepperoni. Let’s take that Margherita Pizza and improve it? The adding of Pepperoni sure will! This is an example of the American Italian influence on the original and it has proved the very popular with the British public.
- The folded over pizza that could be mistaken for a pasty. No chance with the survey as the meaty favourite makes the list. You can have cheese an egg with it as well by the way not just salami.
- Have it as a starter or a have it as your main meal these little slices of bread heaven make a great dish so much so that it comes in at number 6.
- We’ve got to number 7 and this is the first dessert. The Italians are well known for their puddings but this coffee, chocolate and sponge cream lovely and cream mixture is seen as the best.
- Pasta Al Salmone. Seeing as how it sticks out into the Mediterranean Sea and has lots of fish in its cuisine it’s a surprise to see a fish dish so low. They do a mean seabass why not have a look?
- Caprese Salad. Finally a health entrant. Beef heart Tomatoes and big slices of Mozzarella with some lovely green basil. Sea salt and olive oil to taste? Yummy.
- Pappardelle Con Funghi. No prizes for guessing Funghi means mushrooms. The only vegetarian option, apart from the Margherita. Pop some cheese and garlic with the pasta please.
Will this top ten ever change? Only time and taste buds will tell.